This dense, moist cake Blueberry Breakfast Cake is the perfect treat for Easter or Passover breakfast. You can make it the night before and enjoy it in the morning. Drizzle it with icing, sprinkle it with powdered sugar, or, enjoy it plain.
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
For the Cake
- 3 1/4 cups (320 grams) almond flour
- 6 Tbsp (44 grams) tapioca flour
- 1 tsp (5 grams) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (5 grams) sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (232 grams) cane sugar
- 1 cup (240 grams) coconut milk yogurt
- 1 Tbsp, plus 1 tsp (20 grams) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 gram) almond extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 10 oz. frozen blueberries, thawed*
*Frozen blueberries have a more intense flavor in this cake than fresh blueberries. Thaw out the blueberries before adding them to the cake to prevent the berries from adding too much moisture to the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Oil and line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside. (If you do not have a springform pan, use a 9-inch square pan lined with parchment paper.)
- In another large bowl, beat the sugar and eggs together using an electric mixer. Mix on high for about 3 minutes, until the mixture leaves a “ribbon trail”. Mix in the yogurt, vanilla, almond extract, and lemon zest.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour half the cake batter into the pan. Sprinkle half of the blueberries over the cake batter. Pour the rest of the cake batter into the pan and top with the remaining blueberries. (Make sure to just add the blueberries and not any of their liquid.)
- Bake until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 53-60 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove from the cake pan and cool completely.
- 1/2 cup (70 grams) powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp plain coconut milk yogurt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/16 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle over the cake right before serving.