There is something about summer, especially late summer, that always makes me crave s’mores. But, I have no desire to sit around a camp fire in the summer heat. (I’ll save the campfires for fall.)
These Browned Butter S’mores Blondies have all the joy of campfire s’mores, plus all the ooey, gooey, deliciousness of a browned butter chocolate chip cookie.
Make a batch and enjoy these last, long, fading days of summer.
Browned Butter S’mores Blondies
Wet ingredients :
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 12 Tbsp (175 grams) grass-fed butter, browned and reduced to 140 grams (use 140 grams of melted Miyoko’s vegan butter for a dairy-free option)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (300 grams) almond flour
- 5 Tbsp (40 grams) tapioca flour
- 6 grams (1 tsp) baking soda
- 7 grams (1 tsp) sea salt
- 200 grams dark chocolate, chopped (Set a few pieces aside to go on the top of the s’mores blondies.)
- 14 of your favorite, regular sized marshmallows (You can use 1-2 cups of mini-marshmallows if you prefer. I like Dandies vegan marshmallows.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Line a square, metal pan with parchment paper. Leave about a 3/4 inch overhang of parchment paper on each side of the pan for easy removal of the blondies. (8×8, or, 10×10 are good sizes. It is better to use a metal pan than a glass pan because glass will keep cooking the blondies even after it is removed from the oven.)
3. Add your dry ingredients to a medium bowl. Using a spoon, or, spatula mix them together.
4. Brown the butter. In a medium saucepan, add the butter and melt over medium-low heat. Stir the butter occasionally. The butter will foam, then the milk solids will fall to the bottom of the pan and began to brown. Continue cooking until the butter is a nut butter shade of brown. (The browned butter can be used right away.)
5. In a large bowl, add the browned butter and sugars. Whisk together to combine.
6. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix on medium for 3 minutes. (I use an electric mixer for this part, but you don’t have to.)
7. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Add 3/4 of the chocolate and fold to combine.
8. Take 2/3 of the cookie dough and scoop spoonfuls of it into the square pan. Press the cookie dough into an even layer.
9. Lay the marshmallows on top of the first cookie dough layer in a checkerboard pattern. (Or, sprinkle 1-2 cups of mini-marshmallows all across the cookie dough for a very gooey middle.)
10. Fill in all the gaps between the marshmallows with the remaining 1/3 of cookie dough. Sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate pieces.
11. Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, until the edges and top are golden brown and the middle is just set.
12. Let cool in the pan completely, or, at least 20 minutes.
13. Using the parchment paper overhangs, lift the blondies out of the pan. Cut into squares. (If you choose to cool the blondies for 20 minutes, leave them in the pan when cutting and remove one at a time to eat.)
*To make these cookies completely dairy-free, use vegan butter. Miyoko’s Vegan Butter is my favorite dairy-free butter.