A few summers ago, we took a little trip to Savannah with some of our dearest friends.
We had a great time walking around parks, going to markets, checking out coffee shops, and eating all the local food. Especially the BBQ.
We hunted down a hole-in-the-wall BBQ place that all the locals recommended. As we happily walked home with our BBQ, we realized we hadn’t bought anything to go with it. Using the veggies from our farmers market haul, I threw together some BBQ tacos. They turned out to be the best tacos I had ever eaten!
These Carolina BBQ tacos are a nod to the tacos we shared with our dear friends that night. I hope you make them, share them with good friends, and enjoy!
Carolina BBQ Tacos:
These tacos are filled with BBQ pork, slaw, and grilled peaches. To make it easy, throw your pork in the crockpot in the morning. You can also make the slaw in the morning and throw it in the fridge until you are ready to assemble your tacos.
- 3 1/2- 5 lb. Boston Butt or pork shoulder
- BBQ sauce (recipe below)
- creamy slaw (recipe below)
- grilled peach slices (1-2 fresh peaches, each cut into 8 pieces)
- Siete Almond flour tortillas, or, Cassava flour tortillas (or, make your own; I like this recipe)
- 1 Tbsp finely ground coffee
- 1 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp granulated onion
- 1 Tbsp onion flakes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pink pepper
Mix all the spices together.
- 1- 12 oz bottle of the New Primal Carolina BBQ sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Primal Kitchen ketchup
- 2 1/2 Tbsp honey
- Juice from 1/2 an orange
Mix all the ingredients together.
Directions to prepare the BBQ pork:
- Place the pork roast in a crockpot. Coat all sides of the pork roast with the spice rub.
- Pour 1 cup of the BBQ sauce all over the pork roast.
- Place the cover on the crockpot and cook the pork roast on low for 10 hours.
- Once the roast is cooked, remove it from the crockpot and shred all the meat.
- 1/2 head Nappa or Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 olive oil
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I like Primal Kitchen or Chosen Foods)
- 3 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp pink pepper
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp dried chives
Directions for the slaw:
- Place the cabbages and carrots in a very large bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl to make a dressing.
- Pour the dressing all over the veggies and stir until they are completely coated.
Directions to assemble the tacos:
Once your BBQ pork is ready and your slaw is made, you are ready to grill your peaches and assemble your tacos. I use a cast iron grill-pan to grill the peaches; it gives those glorious grill marks. If you don’t have a grill pan, use a regular one.
- Lightly coat the grill-pan with avocado oil and turn the heat on to medium. When the pan is heated, place the sliced peaches in the pan.
- Cook the peaches for 2-3 minutes, then flip them to other side. Cook the other side for 2-3 minutes. Remove them from the pan.
- Pile BBQ pork, slaw, and a couple of grilled peaches onto a tortilla. Top with the remaining BBQ sauce, cilantro, and fresh lime juice if you like.
Pro tip: You can assemble several tacos, place them on a large baking sheet, and serve them “Family Style”.