Chicken salad is an easy, healthy, and versatile lunch to have on hand. You can make it as simple or fancy as you like. I made this chicken salad wrap with sweet, tart apples and buttery pecans. Then I served it with peppery arugula from our farmers market, zesty mustard, salty prosciutto, and creamy avocados.
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- (recipe below; make at least 8 hours ahead of time)
- 1/2 cup mayo*, more or less accordingly your preference
- Salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste
- Any mix ins you like: apples, grapes, dried cranberries, pecans, almond slivers, boiled eggs, celery, pickles, bacon, or whatever you like
- Season the chicken.
- Mix in the mayo.
- Add your mix ins and combine well. (I used 1 apple and 1/2 cup of pecans.)
- Put it on a bed of greens or wrap it in a Siete Almond flour tortilla like I did.
- Add all the goodies like avocado, prosciutto, arugula, mustard— anything you like!
*I use Primal Kitchen mayo because there isn’t any canola, soy, or sugar in it.
- 1 whole chicken, preferably pasture raised
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black or pink pepper
- Rinse and dry a whole chicken.
- Place the chicken in the crockpot and season with the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Cook the chicken on low for 8 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the skin and pick off as much meat as you can. Place the meat in a large bowl and shred it using two forks.