These are the perfect tacos to serve to a crowd because this recipe makes so much chicken. Or, you can portion it out and use it for multiple meals throughout the week like tacos, taquitos, chicken tortilla soup, taco salad, and enchiladas.
Chicken Verde Tacos
Ingredients for the Chicken Verde:
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1, 16oz. jar of salsa verde
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Rinse the chicken and place it in a 6 quart Dutch oven.
- Coat the chicken with all the spices.
- Add the diced onions and smashed garlic.
- Pour the salsa verde over the chicken and onions and toss to coat.
- Cover the Dutch oven with the lid and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the oven and shred the chicken using two forks.
- If you want the chicken to be less saucy, continue to cook it uncovered at 375F for 15-30 minutes more.
To Assemble the tacos:
- Heat soft tortillas and butter them. (I like Siete’s grain free almond flour tortillas.)
- Fill each tortilla with Chicken Verde, then top with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and your favorite salsa verde if desired.
- Finish off with a drizzle of Avocado Crema.
- 2 medium avocados
- 115 grams (1/2 cup) full-fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup; 65 grams)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or, more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Directions for the Avocado Crema:
- Put all the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. (You can use an immersion blender if you have one. Using an immersion blender is my preferred method for making this Crema.)
- Thin with a little water as desired.