Start your day with this creamy, tangy, Greek-style, coconut milk yogurt. Top it with some honey, fresh fruit, and almond granola for a tasty, healthy breakfast or snack.
Coconut Milk Yogurt
- 3 1/2 cups coconut cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsps grass-fed beef gelatin*
- 1packet of yogurt culture starter**
- Pour 1/4 cup water into a small bowl and sprinkle the grass-fed beef gelatin across the top. Allow the gelatin to bloom for 5 minutes.
- In a 4 quart saucepan, heat the coconut cream to 185F. It will begin to steam and almost begin to boil. Remove from the heat and whisk in the gelatin, stirring until all the gelatin is dissolved.
- Pour the coconut cream into a 6 cup, glass storage container or a quart size mason jar. Cover with a light dish towel and cool to 110-115F.
- Once the coconut mixture is cooled to 110-115F, whisk in the culture starter.
- Put the lid on the container and place in the oven with the oven light on.
- Leave the yogurt for 8-16 hours. Taste it after 8 hours. It will get tangier the longer it cultures. (I usually like mine best at the 12 hour mark.)
- Once it reaches the taste you like, take it out of the oven and refrigerate it. (If you see some separation of the cream and water, just give it a shake.)
- Refrigerate for several hours until cold and firm. The yogurt will firm up once it is refrigerated.
You can sweeten the yogurt if you like. Just add some stevia, honey, or maple syrup and a little bit of vanilla extract before putting the yogurt in the refrigerator. I like to half the batch and add 1/2- 1 teaspoon of stevia powder and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to one container.
*Use agar-agar powder in place of grass-fed beef gelatin for a vegan version.
**I buy a vegan culture starter from Amazon.