We eat ice cream for breakfast. . .and maybe you should too.
Okay, we don’t really eat ice cream for breakfast. But, I make this luscious green smoothie that taste like Lime Sherbert and my kids call it “Grinch Ice Cream”. (The smoothie was green and they had been binge watching the new animated Grinch movie. Have you seen it? If not, I would highly recommend it. It’s my favorite version of the Grinch by far. We especially love the part where the carolers, played by the Pentatonix, sing God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman. But, I’ll stop. Just watch the movie. I think you’ll like it.)
So, my kids think they are eating ice cream for breakfast and I’m not about to crush their dreams.
This Lime Sherbet Smoothie is silky and luscious, like a light mousse. And it’s really healthy. It has avocados, lime juice, hemp milk, and spinach. Meaning it has all the good fats, Omegas, and vitamins.
It’s easy to whip up and can even be made ahead of time. Yes, you can make it the night before and have it ready for breakfast in the morning. It will keep nicely in the fridge for a day or two. (If it gets a little brown on top, don’t worry; that’s just what avocados do when exposed to air. It’s not bad.)
So, go make this Lime Sherbet Smoothie and pretend you are having ice cream for breakfast.
Lime Sherbet Smoothie (aka Grinch Ice Cream)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1-2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 1/2 tsp SweetLeaf stevia powder (or, 1/3 cup maple syrup if you don’t like stevia)
- 1 1/2 cups hemp milk, or, your favorite milk
- 1 Tbps vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 5 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, unflavored (or, your favorite protein powder; adjust the amount accordingly)
- Put all the ingredients into a high powered blender, like a Vitamix. Blend until smooth.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 1-2 days.
This recipe makes two, 16 oz glasses of smoothie. If that’s too much for you, just half the recipe.