Photography and Styling by Elisha Sewell
This Pumpkin Spice Coffee with Vanilla Bean Cold Foam really is the perfect Fall drink. It is sweetened with a brown sugar pumpkin spice simple syrup and topped off with a generous amount of lightly whipped coconut cream.
You can make it hot, or iced. Sweeten it as much, or as little as you like. Sip the coffee through the cold foam, or stir it all together.
Start with your favorite coffee, add in the brown sugar pumpkin spice simple syrup, and dollop on as much cold foam as you like. Sprinkle a bit of vanilla bean powder on top for that extra “I got this at a fancy third wave coffee shop” feel.
Pumpkin Spice Coffee with Vanilla Bean Cold Foam
- 4-6 oz. of your favorite coffee, hot or iced
- Pumpkin Spice Simple Syrup
- Vanilla Bean Cold Foam
Directions for the Pumpkin Spice Coffee with Vanilla Bean Cold Foam:
- Make your favorite coffee, hot or iced, however you usually make it.
- Add 4-6 ounces of the coffee to a mug or glass and add the Pumpkin Spice Simple Syrup to taste. (You might start with a tablespoon and add more until it tastes the way you like it.)
- Top with the cold foam and a sprinkling of vanilla bean powder. (I made vanilla bean powder by drying out vanilla beans in a 170F oven then, grinding them in a spice grinder. Alternatively, you can add the seeds of a vanilla bean directly into the cold foam as you are whipping it.)
Pumpkin Spice Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) filtered water
- 2 Tbsp (30 grams) pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
Directions for the Pumpkin Spice Simple Syrup:
- Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan, including the vanilla bean pod and seeds. Whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Discard the vanilla pod. Pour the syrup into a jar. Store in the refrigerator.
Vanilla Bean Cold Foam
- 1/2 cup coconut cream, chilled for 1-2 hours
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions for the Vanilla Bean Cold Foam:
- Place the coconut cream and powdered sugar in a bowl and whisk it until it begins to hold soft peaks; if you use an electric whisk, or hand mixer, this should only take a couple of minutes. (Don’t over-beat the coconut cream or it will separate and clump.)
- Add the vanilla extract and whisk again until incorporated.
- Keep the cold foam refrigerated until you are ready to use it.