“Remember when that new cupcake place opened up and then we asked if they had any breakfast cupcakes? And they were like, ‘Yeah, that’s a muffin.’ Yeah. Oh. So good.” -Portlandia
Because sometimes you just need a cupcake, I mean muffin, for breakfast.
Tahini Banana Muffins
- 2 Tbsp palm shortening
- 6 Tbsp tahini
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (can sub coconut sugar, or, Swerve brown sugar substitute)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 255 g mashed bananas (about 2 1/2 small bananas)
- 205g almond flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 30g tapioca flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the tahini, palm shortening, and sugar together with an electric mixer, on medium speed, until combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the bananas and mix until just combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, sea salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined. Gently fold in the chocolate and nuts.
- Scoop into lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Enjoy!